Prepare Our Hearts: From Pink To Green Legs!        
 
           
         
     
     
       

Our Girls

Our Girls

Karlye's Adoption Video (Password: Lowercase Letters kaxb)

Lucy's Adoption Video (Password: Uppercase Letters LCXB)

     
     
       

Saturday, September 24, 2011

From Pink To Green Legs!

The first cast change was not quite as easy for Karlye as the initial surgery and casting. Karlye received much less medicine to put her to sleep, which we are thankful for, but because she was awake quicker, it resulted in much more screaming and crying, as she was more aware of what was going on. She was apparently not very happy from the operating room to recovery and less happy from recovery to the room to meet us. By the time she got to us, she sounded like she had been crying for a while. Poor baby! I noticed that her casts did not look the same as they did last time, but who am I to know what they are supposed to look like. I am new at all of this! They looked very sloppy, but my thought was…as long as they are doing what they should be to her feet, then it shouldn’t matter.


Karlye watched a movie after we returned home, ate a great lunch, and took a nice nap! After getting Karlye up from her nap, I noticed that her casts were digging into her thighs and making some nice red marks. Of course I wanted to beat myself up at this point because I felt like I should have said something at the hospital. I quickly called the nurse and she gave me some helpful tips to make it through the night and come in the next morning. After spending an hour to get downtown to Children’s Hospital, they slapped some tape and moleskin on her casts and called it a day. However it wasn’t that easy…she screamed louder than I have ever heard her scream before. There was no sucker, cell phone, goldfish, or song that could make this better for her. She was petrified!  Petrified of all the people in the room, petrified of them touching her, petrified of everything! Of course, at this point I am thinking…how in the world are they going to eventually cast her in the clinic like this. She will be absolutely traumatized!  So, needless to say, her casts are a green patchwork :).  Hopefully the patchwork will last for two weeks.  I am thinking that it may not, as they sent me home with some "supplies" to repair it if it happens again.  To make a longer story shorter, they did not put the stocking under the cast, so the cotton just separated from the cast and therefore dug into her thighs and toes.

Her next OR visit will be on October 5th.  I think the color of choice will be RED to go with her Ladybug costume for Halloween.  It all depends on how quickly we have to return to the OR for a cast change.    


The wonderful car that she goes back to the OR in as we make a quiet switch with the transport nurse.


She is in the red car in the back of the picture.  It is hard to see her.


Finally calmed down!

She is learning to like this Popsicle treatment!


New green legs!


Popsicle mouth!



Nana and Karlye watching a movie.



Her new "girly" leg warmers to keep her from picking at her "patchwork".  Much better than a man's white tube sock.




Patchwork green legs!


Roll Tide!


Look...I am standing up!


It also looks like she is in the mood for Christmas!


1 comment:

  1. Praying for a better casting experience next time. Oh how we love that little girl!

    ReplyDelete